ESL etc.

Global Issues and Activism in English Language Teaching

ESL etc. random header image

Moneyless World

July 23rd, 2009 by Dave · 12 Comments

I just came across an interesting article about Daniel Suelo, an American who has been living without money since 2000. The article offers a brief and accessible biography. Suelo also has a blog and there is also a short documentary on him. I think this would be an interesting way to bring up issues of consumerism, wealth and poverty.

Other resources that could be used in activities looking at alternatives economies are Freecycle and freeconomy.

Tags: blog · Buddhism · consumerism · cultural issues · food and hunger · global issues activities · pictures · poverty & wealth · the environment · visual prompts

...
Del.icio.us | Digg | Technorati | Blinklist | Furl | ma.gnolia.com | reddit

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 Chris Adams // Jul 29, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Hi, interesting stuff here, do you think it would be equally possible in Europe?
    I’m not sure you can run a blog for free here, but i only know know about my local library in that respect.
    I got the feeling when i was in America that it was much easier to salvage things than it is here.
    There was an interesting article in the guardian recently, about “Freegans” which seems to link with your post.
    You can find it here.

• 2 Dave // Jul 29, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Running a blog for free is easy. It’s getting the internet access for free that is tricky.

• 3 chris // Jul 30, 2009 at 6:19 am

Yes, sorry, i was unclear – i meant the access.
    I don’t think that here in France the library offers such a service.

• 4 Dave // Jul 30, 2009 at 6:47 am

Interesting!

Most universities (I think) now require logging in in their labs, so I think libraries are probably the best bet here.

By the way, Chris, I really like your blog. The tone is great, and really engaging!

• 5 chris // Jul 31, 2009 at 6:49 am

Thanks Dave for the encouragement, you are doing a great job here yourself.

• 6 Karenne Sylvester // Aug 4, 2009 at 1:17 am

It’s an interesting topic to bring up in class, along with things like world poverty issues (related to your geography map post) however most of our students will agree that money is necessary and usually none of them want to live like hobos.

I guess most of us are just looking for some level of balance – a good way to use this in class might be comparing Daniel Suelo and the Fortune 500 list of people and asking in which ways the different people attain happiness.+

Happy B-day Dave!

Karenne

• 7 ShellTerrell // Aug 4, 2009 at 1:32 am

Dave,

I will be sharing this article with my adult English language learners to spark discussion. I think that poverty and hunger and access to technology are issues relevant to every classroom and part of socially responsible curriculums.

Happy Birthday!

• 8 Dave // Aug 4, 2009 at 6:11 am

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

And I’d love to hear how this goes with your class, Shelly. Please let us know!

Thanks!
    Dave

• 9 chris // Nov 2, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Hi seems that it’s happening everywhere.
    Here is an article from the guardian newspaper in England (nov)

• 10 michael dickinson // Feb 16, 2010 at 5:54 am

WORLD STRIKE 2012

If you agree that the abolition of money would be a fine solution to most of our problems, and that we could create a much better system where EVERYTHING – food and drink, clothing and housing, water, heating, education, health-care and entertainment – shall be FREE for EVERYONE – why not join the World-Wide Strike on the opening day of the Olympic Games in 2012?

The Strike will begin the moment the symbolic Olympic flame is lit – the signal for all who support the abolition of money to stop work and demand a new fair world of true freedom and justice.

WE WANT A MONEYLESS WORLD

Pass it on.

• 11 nick // Oct 24, 2010 at 11:25 am

The 2012 World strike to abolish money
    Economic and spiritual revolution
    To create
    A world
    Of
    Free Access
    Simply and peacefully done.
    The strike starts when the Olympic torch is lit for the 2012 Olympic games.
    We will return to work when
    All monetary units are made Illegal
    All statutes made null and void
    A return to common law
    We will return to work not for money but for goodwill, co-operation and the freedom and betterment of al l human kind.
    We will return to work using the existing systems [while it suits us] but transforming and making those systems free and more fair.
    We will make it our priority
    That all human beings have access to adequate shelter, foods and health care
    We will uphold the common law
    On the return to work
    If you do not have work to go to [i.e. you were in the finance industry] , or you do not wish to return to your work, do not worry . You are now free. Free to jump on a jet plane, free to visit friends and family, free to party.
    Everything will be free
    Every human being on the planet will be free.
    Free from the fear of poverty, hunger, lack of shelter and lack of health care.
    There will be no sweat shops, no child labour, no drug cartels, no landlords, no fear of government agencies
    Travel will be free, shelter will be free, health care will be free, food will be free, every thing will be free
    For every human being on the planet
    All lawful human beings will be free.
    You will uphold the common law
    To be honourable
    Not to harm others
    Not to steal from others
    Not to deceive others
    We will all be free
    Strike, strike, strike, strike
    Make common sense and common law prevail
    After the strike, if you have no work to go to and you wish to work then offer your services to front line services.
    Front line services to include ;
    Production and distribution of food stuff.
    Providing health and social care.
    Upholding the common law.
    Builders, poets, mechanics , experimenters, scientists, shop keepers, law enforcers, carers , thinkers, researchers, peace keepers, statisticians, programmers , co-ordinators, teachers, doctors, nurses, minstrels, artists, farmers, drivers , pilots
    We are all free
    The revolution is here
    Union representation tab neighbourhood strike co-ordinators tab

• 12 IdPnSD // Oct 21, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Yes, money-less economy (MLE) is a very good idea. We really do not need any money to run the economy. We can all work free and get everything for free.

Everybody goes to their individual work place, just like we do now, and work full time in the same way we do now. The only difference is that at the end of the week we do not get any money. The corporation says in a plastic card that I have worked last week full time.

I use that card to buy my grocery from my local grocery store, where I go regularly, and pickup things I use for free, by swiping that plastic card.

I do the same thing for my mortgage or rent for the house. I swipe the card pay free for the mortgage or rent for my house or apartment. Thus we can see that we do not need any money. Take a look at the MLE chapter in the free book at https://theoryofsouls.wordpress.com/