ESL etc.

Global Issues and Activism in English Language Teaching

ESL etc. random header image

Adblock Plus

December 2nd, 2011 · 6 Comments

I may be late to the party, but I want to highly recommend the Adblock Plus plugin for Firefox. It is free, quick to install, and it blocks virtually all banner and pop-up ads. It’s amazing what a difference it makes. It even blocks ads in things like Hulu. I haven’t noticed any slowdown, and it is easy to add exceptions for sites where you want to allow pop-ups. I will definitely recommend this plug-in to my students, and it would make an interesting discussion topic in a unit on consumerism. Looking at the things we get for “free” (because they serve as conduits for the delivery of advertising) is a great class topic.

Tags: blog · consumerism · software

...
Del.icio.us | Digg | Technorati | Blinklist | Furl | ma.gnolia.com | reddit

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 walt // Dec 3, 2011 at 10:32 pm

ABP is great for firefox and to a good extent for chrome. You may want to try AdFender (free) an excellent ad blocking tool which works across all browsers.

• 2 Simon // Dec 7, 2011 at 3:34 am

Just wanted to let you know that there is an error in the link to the Adblock Plus website, you need to remove the “.

• 3 Dave // Dec 7, 2011 at 8:34 am

Thanks Simon!

• 4 Khalid // Dec 14, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Hey David –

I’m sitting in a place with “complementary” wifi access…only they require me to either watch a video or take a survey to get access. Apparently every 45 min I must watch a new video or take another survey to keep using the web.

This made me think of your post, and our modern usage of the terms “complimentary” and “free”. Is it free, if the tax I must pay is watching an advertisement?

Thought you’d appreciate this frustration!

k

• 5 Dave // Dec 14, 2011 at 9:59 pm

That reminds me of the lowcost computers that were (are?) sold that had advertising on a portion of the screen. It’s interesting to me how I find advertising increasingly abrasive the less exposed to it I am.

• 6 TĹ‚umaczenia Ekspresowe Angielski // May 28, 2012 at 6:20 am

The simple option of blocking pop-up windows in Firefox still works in my case. But I will try this new tool.