ESL etc.

Global Issues and Activism in English Language Teaching

ESL etc. random header image

Worldmapper

6 Comments

Worldmapper has a large collection of world maps that display various issues in a simple yet effective way. They expand each country to illustrate their share in a given issue. For example, the map below illustrates each country’s proportion of the world’s child labor.

child labor map

Worldmapper has maps on many, many topics, including poverty, gender empowerment, water use and even the number of McDonald’s restaurants. There is such a variety that I bet I could find a map to relate to almost any issue. And I love using visual prompts, as they are often the fastest way to meaningful discussion and writing.

Another feature that I really like is the PDF posters. Each of the maps that I’ve linked to above is also available as a PDF poster, which includes statistics and a short reading on the issue. The poster’s also include a quote related to the issue.

I’m currently teaching a special program for geography / social studies / English teachers from Haiti and the Dominican Republic, and I’m certainly going to share this resource with them.

Tags: blog · child labor · climate change · consumerism · cultural issues · environmental justice · environmental racism · fair trade · food and hunger · global issues activities · health · human rights · maps · natural disasters · peace and war · politics · poverty & wealth · reading · the environment · visual prompts · water

...
Del.icio.us | Digg | Technorati | Blinklist | Furl | ma.gnolia.com | reddit

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 Khalid // Jul 15, 2009 at 10:57 am

I love it. A very powerful tool to represent numbers and statistics as images.

• 2 ShellTerrell // Jul 21, 2009 at 7:46 am

Thank you for sharing this wonderful and engaging resource for the classroom. Visual aids are a must in the classroom. I think another great use might be to have students create their own posters with this tool marking a global issue to perhaps accompany a presentation or speech!

• 3 Kenny // Jul 21, 2009 at 8:00 am

This is the coolest site I have seen in weeks! Well done. Some of the maps are so out of shape that you know exactly why there is unrest in those places.

• 4 Anne // Jul 21, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Nice! And while we’re on the subject, this is my favorite map blog: http://strangemaps.wordpress.com
    I guess I like the strangeness of it. I use these maps in intercultural communication classes, as discussion starters to illustrate the challenge of recognizing that not everyone shares the same perspective.

• 5 Dave // Jul 21, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Wow, Anne, I love that site! I will definitely use that with my students. Thanks so much for sharing it!

• 6 Karenne Sylvester // Jul 21, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Wow, Dave – this is a fantastic site and a great post. Anne – thanks for the link to strange maps! The map by internet use was very cool and I can use this in a coming lesson on changing technologies – comparing it with the poverty map.

Great stuff,